The Lovers' Map of Deryneia
The
Lovers' Map of Deryneia
Down
in the beautiful ravine, where “Ayia Marina” lies,
I
would take my love, beneath the tender, azure skies;
for
my sweet darling, this dear journey I would make,
two
or three times a month, for love and passion's sake.
I'd
lead her to the shore, the silver-sanded place,
to
“Kala” down below, where the tide leaves its white lace;
and
when I asked for two sweet kisses, soft and low,
my
heart's small wish, my darling never would forgo.
A
grey, smooth stone from “Therymio” she chanced to find,
for
me to carve a promise, a message for her mind;
and
if I write those words, "I love you," deep and true,
she
vowed she'd press her lips to it, as lovers do.
One
Sunday to the arches of “Pente Kamares” we went,
a
sweet, secluded time, on pure affection spent;
but
as I drew her close and held her in my arms,
she
started asking favors, adding to her charms.
To
“Ayios Konstantinos” where the old tunnels meet,
I'd
seek a playful woman, with mischievous, dancing feet;
A
charming, flirting soul, who knew just how to tease,
and
with her playful tricks, she brought me to my knees.
At
the church of “Ayios Georgios”, the centre of the town,
while
the flickering oil lamp gently lowered down;
A
tall young woman entered, right through the open door,
and
asked for one soft kiss, wanting nothing more.
She
said, "Give me a kiss, upon my sweet, soft lips,"
a
bold request she made, as my heart quickly flips.
Inside
the Museum yard, where the double ploughshare lay,
a
quiet witness to the plowing of an earlier day;
we
would sneak in past the fence, for a stolen, tender kiss,
and
held each other close beneath the moon's soft bliss.
Inside
the peaceful churchyard, here at “Panayia's” feet,
I
said, "Give me two kisses," a pleasure pure and sweet;
But
with a gentle warning, she softly did reply,
"That
gift is surely sinful, beneath God's watchful eye."
Up
high where stands “Vounos” with its solitary tree,
where
the lonely cypress watches the vast, deep sea;
I
would embrace my love, and give her all my bliss,
and
steal a tender moment, before the sun could kiss.
Inside
the ravine called “Faranga”, near Deryneia's side,
I
saw a cunning maiden where myrtle bushes hide;
I
asked if she needed help, for me to come and tend,
and
she said, "Draw in closer, my lover and my friend;
“I
want to steal a kiss, before this moment is through,”
A
sweet invitation, I could not but pursue.
KVJ
How wonderful and meaningful poem. It was always inspiring to read. I love it. Thank you for the poem.
ReplyDeleteFelicidades, este poemas es el mas inspirado donde llega al profundo del corazón estoy agradecida del hermoso poema.🌹
ReplyDeleteHe is the most inspired that arrives. ❤️Thanks you somuch
ReplyDeleteI love your poem very inspired and meaningful , relate 💗
ReplyDelete